Thursday, September 16, 2010

Enlarge Your Color Palette!

I noticed the other day that I was starting to use the same colors on just about every page I worked on in my art journal...It just seemed they were all turning out like they were the same old same old, so I came up with a way to get myself out of that habit of reaching for the old reliable colors every time.

I took all of my markers, gel pens and glitter pens and dumped them into a large shoebox (boot box actually...)! This went totally against the grain with me because I am a bit of a perfectionist, and I had always kept all my markers in one container, all of my gel pens in another, etc...well, I call myself a "mixed media" artist, and I can't even mix my supplies together??? How backward is that!? I can see keeping my paints separated, but separation by pen is just silly, lol!

So now, when I work on a page, I am using a lot more colors, and different shades of color as well since I dumped everything in together. I highly recommend trying this if you are stuck in a color rut. If you do try it, don't give up on it the first day or so. Give yourself a day or so to adjust to the trauma your poor perfectionist side has suffered-I am really starting to enjoy working like this...Let me know if you give it a whirl by leaving me a comment and telling me how it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to say what's on your mind!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!
So Proud of This Award!!

Check out your Jewelry Hallmarks Here!!

jewelry research logo

Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks


Mixed Media Art | Techniques, Reviews, Inspiration
Visit Mixed Media Workshops
Please leave your own blog address (and of course
your comments!) in the Comments section below
so that I can follow you as well!


Save
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.flickr.com
Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset

Visit Mixed Media Workshops

Total Pageviews

Laura Shelton's Unique Art Posts