Monday, April 4, 2011

Free-Mixed Media Tips and Techniques! Art Journals and More...

Hello! This week I am doing something special for you...I am digging into my personal stash of tips and techniques that I have compiled and sharing them with you so you can try them out! These are tips that ideas of experimental or "non-usual" ways of using different art mediums. I enjoy experimenting and playing with my art supplies, and thought you might enjoy some of these techniques as a break from the ordinary. Here is the book that I made to keep all of my "research" in:
I went to the Dollar Store and bought a bunch of composition notebooks for $1.00 each, and use them for different things like my techniques, my "found poetry" for each altered book I am working on, and for simple collage and gluebook work. These are great to keep all of your work organized! Now, on to a few tips and ideas for you to try, and I will cover more ideas next time:

  1. Try oil pastels under watercolors on watercolor paper, etc. The oil pastels will work as a resist.
  2. Try using crushed chalk pastels mixed with a bit of water and paint on for a watercolor effect. You can also wet an area first, then draw on with the pastel for a different look. Or draw with dry pastels and then go over with a wet brush. Your results will be nice and vivid and surprisingly different than when dry!
  3. To make acrylic paint glazes, mix 2 parts water, 1 part acrylic paint, and 1 part extender or glaze medium. Blend with a baby wipe to take off excess paint when using. This makes a reat distressed art journal background!
  4. When using oil pastels on watercolor paper, put down a watercolor wash on the paper first. It will create a little bit better surface for your oil pastels.
  5. Tint gesso with yellow ochre acrylic paint to use to mute colors on an art journal or painting.6
  6. To save money on expensive gel mediums, use the gel medium for transfers only...Use Mod Podge, glue stick or other less expensive thinned glues for collage. This will make your gel medium go much longer!
  7. To keep dry pages and collages from sticking together in altered books and art journals, etc., use a couple of drops of liquid car wax on a cotton rag and buff the pages lightly. Just put one or two drops on the dry, clean rag and it will work like a charm!



Enjoy using these tips and let me know how they work for you! Don't forget I will be adding more tips next week, so be sure to sign up and follow me so you don't miss any! Happy creating!

17 comments:

  1. Excellent!
    Thank you so much for your generosity! I love the dollar store... ; )
    Lotus

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great tips, Laura. I especially like #1,6 and 7. Liquid car wax - who would have thought?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for your comments and for stopping by! Glad you liked the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Laura! These tips are especially helpful to someone like myself who is just starting to do mixed media collages. Very, very helpful.

    Hugs XX
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing your tips-I have several accordion books whose collage pages keep sticking together. I will try the car wax and let you know how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for your comments and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these tips! Most I've never tried, but I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tips Laura! I really like Dorland's Wax for finishing my pages and keeping them from sticking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cyndi, I had to Google Dorland's Wax. Does it have to be mixed with a medium or can you apply it on top as Laura uses car wax? Perhaps you could blog about it on Mixed media.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never would have thought of car wax... thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful tips!!! I especially love the one about the car wax and adding yellow ochre to gesso! Thanks so much !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. new follower thanks for the tips! stop by for a visit http://dedastudios.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, I was wondering if you were planning on resuming the altered book class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen! I don't know if you knew, but I have closed my NING site where my classes were being held, because of some changes NING is going to be implementing, as well as the fact that they are going to basically double in monthly costs....I really hated to shut it down, but I just couldn't go that much more expensive per month. I am going to be centrally located at http://pamelajoypurses.ning.com for now, and if there are any more classes I will make an announcement. My health has been a bit bad lately, with a bout of pneumonia and congestive heart failure, but I am doing better now, just need a bit more recuperation time. If I become able to resume the classes, it will be in a different format, where you can either watch LIVE or watch the recorded version this new way. I will let you know about any more classes in the altered books. Thanks for asking!

      Delete

Feel free to say what's on your mind!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!
So Proud of This Award!!

Check out your Jewelry Hallmarks Here!!

jewelry research logo

Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks


Mixed Media Art | Techniques, Reviews, Inspiration
Visit Mixed Media Workshops
Please leave your own blog address (and of course
your comments!) in the Comments section below
so that I can follow you as well!


Save
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.flickr.com
Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset

Visit Mixed Media Workshops

Total Pageviews

Laura Shelton's Unique Art Posts