Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Painting with Words - Altered Text, Altered Books

I know, most of the time I am writing about art, painting , painting mediums, and lots and lots of color. But lately, I have been more caught up with words and the text in the books I am altering. I am doing a lot of "found poetry", and what I call "altered text" which is similar to found poetry, it is just not quite as lyrical. You can even write a "book within a book" using selected words and phrases from the text of the book you are altering. Here is a sample from a page of one of my books I am working on.

"The bell, ringing heavily, ascending and mounting on every side. The bell, only absence." Now these words were plucked out of the text of the first page I am working on in the book "The Black Arrow", by Robert Louis Stevenson, and there are nuggets of this kind of literary gold on every page! I am having more fun finding and altering text and found poetry in this book so far, than I am actually altering the pages with paint and color.

I love words and how they can be linked together and made into something every bit as beautiful as a poem...Next time you decide to alter a book, try just altering the text, and see if you don't enjoy it for a change! I will leave you with one more line of altered text:

"The house, alone among lilacs, open meadows rising, knee-deep with scarlet". Neat, huh?! Happy Creating!


          

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the information you've given us Laura! I hope to come back often.

    Hugs XX
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Book within a book" - I like that idea.

    What's a "twinchie"? I saw that in your header. I'm guessing 2-incher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments, and "Yes" eileen, a twinchie is like an ATC only it measures 2" x 2". They are fun to make if you have the patience for such a small work area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything having to do with words. They appeal to me in crafts, too. I love the "found poetry" concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love how books offer so many different possibilities? Some great ideas there, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you both for reading and for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I think it would be fun to take a page out and glue it into my art journal and then do this! Thanks so much!!! I'm feeling inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to say what's on your mind!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!
So Proud of This Award!!

Check out your Jewelry Hallmarks Here!!

jewelry research logo

Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks


Mixed Media Art | Techniques, Reviews, Inspiration
Visit Mixed Media Workshops
Please leave your own blog address (and of course
your comments!) in the Comments section below
so that I can follow you as well!


Save
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.flickr.com
Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset

Visit Mixed Media Workshops

Total Pageviews

Laura Shelton's Unique Art Posts