Saturday, September 18, 2010
My Review of the Strathmore Visual Journal
First of all, I like the outside cover alright, it has the cover you see first, which could actually be torn off, and then, there is a sturdy, brown cover which you could leave as is, or, alter like I probably will. I like to make my journals "all mine", so I always make my own covers out of watercolor paper, etc. then attach over the original cover.
The paper in the Mix Media Visual Journal is 90 lb. and sufficiently heavy for my needs, except for when I use markers. I am still looking for a journal that has heavy enough paper where I can use both sides of the paper (front and back) with my markers, and have no bleed through. I think this could be overcome with the heavier 140lb, Cold Press Watercolor Paper journal, which is what I am showing here. This is a link to Amazon for you if you would like to order yourself one-$8.99 is not bad for a 9x12" journal. I don't think Michaels carries them yet, so don't bother going there to buy one. Call before you go, and make sure you don't waste a trip!
I was sent the small journal, and it is perfect for sticking into an "art to go" bag or even your purse! It has 68 pages, and a heavy, spiral type binder, like they all do, that allows it to open up and lay flat for 2 page spreads, just like we like! All in all, I like the smoothness of the paper, (feels good to my fingers, lol), the weight of the paper, and the amount of pages in the journal, along with the spiral binder. It seems to be a sure winner with the art journaling crowd!
My current art journal is a Canson Mix Media Journal that has 98 lb paper and is a 9x12". I like that size so I have plenty of room to work. Comparing the two to each other, since they are both Mix Media, I have to lean toward the Strathmore because the paper seems to be just a smidge smoother and heavier. So, anyway, if you haven't tried the Strathmore, or are looking for a great art journal to start, that is my personal opinion of the Strathmore!
- Mixed media artist and teacher
- Workshop Developer
- Published Writer and Poet
- Personal Creativity Coach
- Fine Art Artist w Wholesale Sales in Texas and Colorado
- In private collections worldwide
- Fabric, Clothing, Purses and Accessories Artist
- Etsy Shop- https://www.etsy.com/your/shops/LaurasUniques
- Website- https://laurasuniques.patternbyetsy.com
- Hopeless romantic and dreamer who is.......
- Madly in love with my fiancee, who is a magical, silly, sweet and my very own amazingly talented lead guitar music man
- Mother of 2 two grown sons, 4 grandchildren
- Advocate for Heart Disease Prevention, Prevention of Skin Cancer, Prevention of Domestic Violence and Child Abuse.
- Find me at any of the following web addresses for questions and/or comments ...(I love to connect with my artsy friends!):
Lthykeson@yahoo.com (my email)
email@example.com (2nd email)
Facebook- My group of insomniac artists, please-come join us! - Midnite Artists at https://www.facebook.com/groups/midniteartists/
and last but not least...my personal FB page at Laura's Facebook Page
My Professional FB page https://www.facebook.comLauraThykesonsLiveRoom
I am a guest author and contribute mixed media art related articles for the Mixed Media Art - Inspiration, Tutorials, Techniques and More! website, where you can find fabulous articles and endless sources of inspiration, product reviews and tips/Information contributed and freely shared by supremely talented artists and designers as well as myself.
Check out your Jewelry Hallmarks Here!!
Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks
Visit Mixed Media Workshops
Create Your Badge Follow Laura's board Cool Art journal pages and spreads on Pinterest.
your comments!) in the Comments section below
so that I can follow you as well!