Sunday, June 19, 2011

Art Journals and Babysitting...

It is at least 120 degrees here in our part of Texas this weekend, so it was no surprise that my DH was whining for some cool water to immerse himself in and escape the heat...On top of the heat, we had a 10 year old boy, our nephew, visiting since Thursday, and he was beginning to be a bit bored with just watching the Animal Planet channel. Even the XBox was becoming old, and we have stacks of games!

It is not surprising, therefore, that the DH and "the boy" decided to head out on a road trip to Hurricane Harbor in "the big city", giving me some sweet alone time to play in my journal! After hearing about how long the lines were to do any of the really good exhibits, I am seriously glad I didn't try to go with them. This "old lady" can't handle the Texas heat anymore-I have to have my A.C! They did manage to get wet and cool, though, and had lots of fun, so the trip was a success after all...

My day was successful as well, if you consider getting to make a few journal pages "successful"! I resorted back to my permanent markers because I just wasn't up to the whole "layers" thing, plus, my style is morphing into this bright, more crisp look anyway. I just "be who I be", I suppose... Anyway, here is what I came up with:
This is my "Birthday girl" that I made for another NING site's 4th birthday celebration. I like her hair.....

These are "Give Me a Hand", "This Bud's for You" and "The Flower Girl". The "Flower Girl" and "This Bud..." were done with Pelikan brand opaque watercolors (inexpensive, and I love them for playing with!) and highlighted a bit with water soluble Portfolio oil pastels (also inexpensive and a great, creamy feel...). I just love how easily the oil pastels blend over the top of the base color, adding some dimension and depth to the otherwise flat colors. I often go back and add them to pages that I thought I had finished long ago. Just goes to show you that the journey, or the journal page creation, never truly ends...Happy creating!




8 comments:

  1. They are all wonderful, but my favorite is "Give Me a Hand". I'm just crazy for doodle lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pages- I always love how colorful your work is :) Stay cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love "Give me a hand"...just fabby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the hand theme and the pretty blocks of color you used in it.

    What were you thinking when you came up with the Medusa hairdo? I love it!

    Was it really 120 degrees there?! The first settlers must have arrived in the winter months. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eileen, the actual temperature was probably 112 degrees that day, which is close enough to 120 degrees in my opinion, lol! Anything over 90 degrees is too hot!

    I just decided that the Medusa hair was the "style for the day" for my "Birthday Girl" I made for the NING site's fourth birthday celebration... She needed something to really make her stand out! Glad you liked the "Give Me a Hand" art journal page!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous colors! Really wonderful designs. I like them all.
    120? OH yuck! I'll turn the a/c on here if it's 75. The electric company loves that!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to say what's on your mind!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!
So Proud of This Award!!

Check out your Jewelry Hallmarks Here!!

jewelry research logo

Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks


Mixed Media Art | Techniques, Reviews, Inspiration
Visit Mixed Media Workshops
Please leave your own blog address (and of course
your comments!) in the Comments section below
so that I can follow you as well!


Save
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.flickr.com
Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset

Visit Mixed Media Workshops

Total Pageviews

Laura Shelton's Unique Art Posts