Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fall Projects in Mixed Media

With the changes in the Fall weather coming, and the thought of being indoors more during the cold days ahead, I have been thinking of projects for the future to keep me busy during the winter months. Here are a few of the things I have coming up-

The bag above is a medium sized leather bag that I found at a thrift shop, and it is in like-new condition! So, of course, since I just got in my Lumiere paints by Jacquard, I am thinking about what type of design I want to put on it.  I may color-block it and then add details over the color-blocked background, but as of now, my mind is a big blank in the designing area of my brain! I am going to have to think about it some more...

Don't you get frustrated when you are wanting to "do" something, but can't focus in and decide what you want to actually DO? Today I am surrounded by new products and supplies and I can't think of a thing...I may end up just working on a canvas, and then if I like that design, I can re-create it on my purse...a 9" x 12" canvas would be just about the right size, and if I ended up not liking the design, I could always re-do it! Now why didn't I think of that??? I think that may be how I approach this project.  I also have a couple of wood items that I am going to refurbish, here is what they look like...:
One is this small shelf that I am going to re-do into a shadowbox type of item, and the other is a candle sconce...
I'm not quite sure what I am going to do with it just yet. If you have any suggestions, drop me a comment! Maybe you will spur my creativity a bit! If these turn out to suit me, I may have a contest for them and give them away! I like to give my art to people that enjoy it...  I also have a nice wooden recipe box that I may re-do and make into some type of a "Rolodex" for myself, so I can keep up with all of the people's names, addresses and emails that I have accumulated and strewn everywhere. My "organized chaos" is beginning to get to me, so that means it's about time to do some straightening up around here!

Have you checked out a company called Want2Scrap.com? They have some really awesome chipboard embellishments! Check out this corset and the sets of wings I got from them!
I got 5 of them each and am contemplating doing a series of canvas paintings using the corsets and wings as embellishments. I have in mind an idea about doing something about how society expects women to be "angels" in public and -well-you know what in the bedroom...may be an old song and dance, but unfortunately, it is still a "man's world" and often,  women still are treated with a double standard a lot. But anyway, I will get off of my soapbox, lol!

My latest weak spot online is a company called "Paper Wishes.com". If you haven't checked them out yet-hurry up and click over there! The "Mom's warehouse Sale" section gets me every time...I just got in some awesome flower embellishments, cardstock and paper and even a tool kit for eyelets and hole-punching! Their prices are really good and they have a huge selection.

Well, I must get back to work, so I hope that today finds you well and happy, and that your upcoming week is smooth sailing. Until next time,

Happy Creating!

Laura




6 comments:

  1. I've been looking for an update on this purse...have you tackled it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cyndi! How are you doing? I haven't painted the leather purse yet, although I did finish the canvas one...it turned out really pretty. I have all of the paints now, and so I will probably be doing this little leather purse soon. I will be sure to update my blog when it is done. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what the purse will look like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Cherie! I am having a hard time making up my mind for the design on this one, lol...

      Delete
  4. The sconce calls out for tole painting. Do you do that, Laura? I would use it hung on the wall for outgoing mail and/or keys, cell phone, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen! Yes, I have done a lot of tole and decorative painting...I was kinda thinking the same way ;)!

      Delete

Feel free to say what's on your mind!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!
So Proud of This Award!!

Check out your Jewelry Hallmarks Here!!

jewelry research logo

Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks


Mixed Media Art | Techniques, Reviews, Inspiration
Visit Mixed Media Workshops
Please leave your own blog address (and of course
your comments!) in the Comments section below
so that I can follow you as well!


Save
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.flickr.com
Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset

Visit Mixed Media Workshops

Total Pageviews

Laura Shelton's Unique Art Posts