Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Happiness is....

Happiness is being alive and being able to make another blog post, even if it makes no sense half od the time....
Happiness is looking forward to Christmas after a lifetime of dreading the holiday season because of sad memories....
Happiness is living through a heart attack and still being in relatively good shape....
Happiness is knowing that some of you will actually read this and maybe stop and think for a few minutes about what makes YOU happy!

This week, I took an old, wooden recipe box I got for 25 cents at the Goodwill and turning it into a "Blessings and Gratitude" box. I pit several teeny tiny journals in it, along with a pen, and now it is setting on my nightstand, waiting for me to sum up my day of being gratedul each night before I go to sleep. Here is what it looks like now and how I did it...It was a "no brainer", but I loved it after I finished it, especially when a couple of friends of mine suggested what it would be great to be used for!! I added in on the inside about 4 of my "teeny-tiny" journals and a pen so I can record my good things that happen each day...
This video takes anout 45 minutes to watch, and it is really nothing special in the way of techniques, but after the year I have had, it means the world to me...I have so much to be grateful for, and have received so many blessings...I am so happy to just wake up each day to greet the world of possibilities that each day holds!  Life is truly what we make it, and I intend to make mine as wonderful and peaceful as I can, and truly hope that you try to do the same...

I also finished a fabric painting done with Lumiere paints on black canvas cloth to make into a journal cover, but I will show you that after I have covered my journal with it...give you a little something to look forward to, lol! Besides, I need to build the journal first, lol....

Well, it is getting late, and hubby has he flu, so I suppose I will go for now and check on him...He was really sick last night, high fever, chills, coughing...the whole nine yards. I finally got his fever down and he is feeling just a bit better, but not much, so I better get back to my "nursing duties.

Happy Creating, and remember-"Blessings and Gratitude". Thinking of these each day will make a big change in how peaceful your life can be!!! OH-before I forget, there will be a new workshop/course coming up after the first of the year....more on that later! Plus, check out my new NING site! I just couldn't stay away, lol...like I don't have enough to do already....

L Thykeson's Mixed Media Uniques


Lauta Thykeson
Expressive Arts Facilitaior

5 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    I don't have time for the full video right now - plus I don't have audio at the moment - so I accelerated just to see what you did. I love it!

    A friend of mine already announced she is making us gratitude jars for Christmas, so I won't make a gratitude box per se.

    Boxes have a gazillion uses, right. Especially pretty boxes like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that you found that for just a quarter! Isn't Goodwill the best? What a great use for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! I just LOVE thrift stores, and have to really watch myself, or I will come home with all kinds of "junk" to re-do, lol!!

      Delete
  3. Me again, Laura. I could finally view the video - technical problems here in Mexico.

    I was surprised to see you use such "old-fashioned" glue supplies - plain old white PVA glue and a glue gun! Don't you find that the PVA soaks through or creates ripples on some papers?

    Also, what kind of paper did you use? It looks (and sounds) very heavy. Did you paint it or is it stock scrapbooking paper? (Fingers crossed for option 2!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen! The "glue" is actually a mixture of glues that I mix up and put into those bottles for the ease of application I can get from the lids on those glue bottles. I use a mix of matte medium, Glue-all, and other types on glues, mixed together, lol. I also love the glue gun (dual temp) and so far have had no problems with the paper buckling. I used regular stock scrapbook paper for covering the box...not cardstock, but just the paper. It worked really well, and didn't wrinkle or warp at all. I gave the box to my Dad for Christmas, and he just loved it and the idea behind it!

      Delete

Feel free to say what's on your mind!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!

Versatile Blogger Award Winner!
So Proud of This Award!!

Check out your Jewelry Hallmarks Here!!

jewelry research logo

Costume Jewelry History
And Jewelry Marks


Mixed Media Art | Techniques, Reviews, Inspiration
Visit Mixed Media Workshops
Please leave your own blog address (and of course
your comments!) in the Comments section below
so that I can follow you as well!


Save
Follow Me on Pinterest
www.flickr.com
Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset Laura Thykeson's Altered Book Pages and Spreads photoset

Visit Mixed Media Workshops

Total Pageviews

Laura Shelton's Unique Art Posts